Saturday 16 February 2013

Misc.

Hello to you. 

Well now, and how is 2013 treating you all so far? I’ve been watching a LOT of telly, mainly due to the fact that I’ve got well back into the Gilmore Girls thanks to my mother’s Christmas present to herself of the complete boxset. Even though I’ve seen every episode at least 7 times (I jest not), it’s still like hopping into a cosy jumper or pulling on your bunny slippers and closing the curtains – comforting and funny and just a cracking good show. Although if you watch too much of it you start speaking really fast and drinking excessive amounts of coffee… Also I can now only ever hear my brother’s impression of Emily Gilmore saying ‘Looorelaaaiii’ (if you’ve seen it you will definitely know what I mean).

I also had a happy evening re-watching Angels in America (romance, philosophy, apocalyptic visions, Emma Thompson dressed as an angel and Meryl Streep dressed as a rabbi – what more could you want?), and yesterday I watched Lie With Me, an ITV drama from 2004 which I got off ebay for like a pound because it has Eve Best in it. It’s not a brilliant show, by any stretch – standard police/victim drama stuff, but at least the acting was good. Andrew Lincoln and Eve Best, good combination.

In more modern viewing, I’ve obviously been loving the new series of Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents on BBC3 – it makes me simultaneously quite want to go out on the lash, and never ever go clubbing again. Quite a feat. There have been quite a few poor innocents this series, sweet daft youths with no experience of the world and lots of boys used to being waited on by over-indulgent mamas, who end up bouncing around the gutters of Kavos or snoozing in A&E. I love that pretty much every family ends up telling their kids they’re proud of them no matter what hideous shit they’ve been up to, it’s oddly heartwarming. There’s only been one boy who has really repulsed me, who was totally unrepentant for his horrible behaviour to girls, and in the face of his parents’ genuine horror and disappointment tried to pass off his misogynist crap as “just how our generation speak to each other” – just hope he grows out of it eh.

One final nerdy TV high point was in a new episode of Glee, where a vision of high-school Rachel tells New York Rachel that she’s orange and has out of control hair. It was BRILLIANT because that’s basically what I’ve been shouting at my screen for the last few months and made me feel like old-school Glee was on my side. Yes I’m a dork.

I also popped in to see Les Mis the other week, after a hearty Nando’s where I nearly froze my head off thanks to a broken heater… got a free ‘chicken cheque’ after complaining though, score. Came home with mascara all over my jumper sleeves which is always a good sign of movie enjoyment I think. Winners of the film were: Eddie Redmayne (voice of an angel, face of an angel), Helena B-C and Ali G (hilario), and that kid who gets shot. Ooh and also Eponine, who apparently was the actress from the stage show. She was BRILLIANT. Less winning (I hesitate to say loser) was: the Crowe. Now I am NOT fussy about singing ability – one of my favourite film performances ever has to be Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia – but Russ seemed to be so busy concentrating on getting it out in tune that he neglected to like, act at all during the songs. Which form quite a large portion (aka all) of the film. He does look good in a hat though, to be totally fair. Anyway I would def watch it again, which is more than I thought I would say. 

New music-wise, I am completely obsessed with Ra Ra Riot’s new album Beta Love. It’s a bit of a break away from their two previous albums, bit more electronic and funky, but it’s a good direction (and obviously draws a bit more on some of the side stuff with Vampire Weekend as Discovery). Top tracks are Angel Please and Beta Love.

Book-wise (because I may as well update you on all the entertainment aspects of my life) I finished JK Rowling’s new one, The Casual Vacancy, on a rammed train journey back from the north with half a Scottish rugby team wedged in the aisle reading over my shoulder. I have always loved her writing style (simple, direct, engaging) so it was good to get back into that, and there are some striking character moments in it (she is good at writing teenagers, you can’t deny), but as a story it was a little bit… dull. Lots of characters, bit of a boring topic and kind of too long to be worth it. I hope she writes something else that’s a bit more cohesive and focussed next.

Booze news: As you know, I am a big fan of the Craft Beer Co in Brixton so I was stoked to discover the one in Angel last week too. This pretty much means that I can access a beardy ale or a deceptive 7% pear cider both near home AND near work! Nice work, world. *hic*

Combining both previous points, I have discovered (through Facebook) a cool tumblr page entitled Book and Beer, a regular update detailing the divine combination that is a good book and a good pint. In the spirit of this, here’s my offering for this week: A book about the sun and some Elbow beer.

I went for a Valentine’s jaunt on the river too this week thanks to my journalist pal, which was super fun. Free bubbly and chocolates on board a Thames Clipper, which zoomed us up to Tower Bridge and then back along to Canary Wharf. It was lovely to see London all lit up at night and stick my head over the edge of the boat into the wind like a gleeful dog. Very invigorating. And followed up by a stroll along the river made me realise how glad I am to be in this city for now. Hooray.

Coming up:
In order of importance, too cool to be chronological: FLEETWOOD MAC, MO’FOS! September 25th, you cannot come too soon.

However some other pleasing bookings include:
Carmen at the Royal Albert Hall (my mum booked it ok)
The second instalment of the Coveryard in March
Harry Potter studios in April (This is probably the second best thing I will do all year, after the Mac)
OneRepublic at Shepherd’s Bush in April
Noah and the Whale at the Palace Theatre in May
The Mumford & Sons Lewes Stopover featuring Vampire Weekend and some others in July (QUITE excited about this one also)
Also @cakespeareuk has promised me a trip to each of the new RSC productions at the Globe so I’ll be getting my Shakespeare on bigstyle in 2013.

Yehaa.

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment