Sunday 1 June 2014

Barry Gibb

When: Thursday 3rd October

Where: O2

Why: YOU SHOULD BE DANCING, YEAH

All my musical life was leading up to this moment. It’s difficult to describe how much the BeeGees mean to me. I remember staying at my auntie’s house lying in bed listening to her BeeGees Greatest Hits CDs on my Discman (yeah) and having a genuine epiphany. They are song-writing GODS. White suit-wearing GODS. Falsetto GODS. In my gap year I used to sit in my friend’s car after our Greek classes (you know it) perfecting my falsetto Barry Gibb impressions, and so to find myself awaiting his arrival on stage at the O2 was a real pinch-me moment.

I have to say, it was the most emotional concert I’ve ever been to. There were tributes to Maurice and Robin, there were videos and songs in their honour, and I found myself crying at least three times. Barry really held it together, it was the perfect mix of nostalgia and happiness, disco tunes and memory-tugging ballads, public-facing showbiz and personal memories, and it felt like a privilege to be there. This man has shaped the British (and international) music industry and infiltrated our minds with his catchy, catchy melodies, and for that he should be revered and loved.

Bless you BG.


Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment