Friday 5 December 2014

Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium

When: Sunday 6th July
 
Where: Shoreditch
 
Why: CAKE AND CATS

I was SO READY for my visit to Lady Dinah’s. I’d been following their progress since hearing of the planned project, and when all the spaces sold out after it opened I waited patiently, kind of hoping that someone might get me tickets for my birthday. But when the new booking system opened and loads of cancellations were released, I knew my time had come. Taking along two feline-obsessed friends, we bounced in with enthusiasm, ready to mingle with the kittens (who I felt I knew already thanks to voracious Instagram stalking).
 
Sleepy gingers
Typically, we arrived on a day after the cats had been up all night partying, so they were all in super sleepy mode. The lovely hostesses were most apologetic and tried to persuade them to play by various sneaky means – bringing out some exciting looking boxes, waggling stringy items at them… but to not much avail. To be honest, it was nice to see them behaving like totally average cats – casually disdainful of any enthusiastic human and dedicated to their own agenda. You wouldn’t want them to be anything else. The rules are strict at Lady D’s – you can’t disturb a sleeping pusk, or pick them up, and their welfare and comfort is the number one priority of the staff, as it should be. They all seemed incredibly content, and their environment was fab. Cosy sofas and retro furniture downstairs provided plenty of hiding places, and the glam hammocks and wheels and tunnels upstairs clearly made a bit more of an area for playing. There were also several delightful moments of cat V. dog stare-offs thanks to the window area, which made for entertaining viewing.
 
Wookie, my new bff
We didn’t have any serious cuddles, but I definitely shared a moment with Wookie (my absolute fave – a tabby/persian cross and a total babe), and we got a lot of strokes in. We did get to feed them some shrimp treats too which was a cute experience – my cats would definitely tell me to piss off if I tried to feed them from the palm of my hand, but these guys loved it. Speaking of which, our food was also impressively tasty – more so than I had expected. My red velvet cake and hot chocolate (complete with cat face stenciled on top) were absolutely delicious, my friend’s vegan rose and something else (I just can’t remember ok) cake looked fab, and they had a great range of teas and treats.
 
I will definitely, definitely be going back and had such a lovely time. Thanks kittens and staff!
 
Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment