Wednesday 7 January 2015

When: Saturday 11th October

Where: Hackney Picturehouse

Why: Ongoing Moomin love

I had no idea I was going to the UK premiere of the brand new Moomin movie – like Little My I bounded way too excitedly into a surprising adventure! The movie was an absolute cracker and deserves to be popular for years to come. It features the bohemian, supremely chillaxed Moomin family and various friends heading off to the French Riviera for a holiday escapade. Their innocence leads them into some beautiful scrapes (the Snork Maiden yearning for a tiny bikini was gorgeously sweet), and while the more inherently glamorous Moominpappa and Snork Maiden revel in the delights of the Riviera, it soon becomes too much for Mamma and Moomintroll, and tensions ensue. In the end, all is made right by a herd of sand-carved elephants and some good old-fashioned rebellion. The values of equality and simplicity win out, as always in the Moomins' world.

The whole cast of this English version of the film were in attendance at the screening, including the hilariously absent-minded director who seemed to not quite grasp the concept of a Q&A session, and the divine Russell Tovey who voiced Moomintroll. Also in attendance was Sophia Jansson, niece of Tove Jansson (creator of the Moomins) and whose childhood features in Jansson’s novel The Summer Book. My friends failed to stop me being a massive nerd when I said that I had to go and speak to her after the movie, just to say how much Tove’s creations mean to me. She responded kindly and with a little Scandinavian bemusement at such wild over-enthusiasm, but I’m glad I spoke to her. Definitely my geekiest moment of 2014.

Enjoy them here:


Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment