Saturday 13 October 2012

The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit: Book Signing

When: Thursday 6th September

Where: Selfridges toy department

Why: Emma Thompson is my one true love

As I was aimlessly wandering downstairs in Selfridges in search of a financial notebook (you know, like those little red ones that taxi drivers used to have to note down all their fares? Like income and outgoings etc. Trying to organise my pennies) while my mother had her eyebrows done at Estee Lauder, I spotted a sign in the WHSmiths concession (I know, I know – I’m a traitor to Waterstones) with Emma Thompson’s face on. So I went to have a look and when I saw that it was for a book signing I almost fell over on the spot. Imagine if I hadn’t seen that sign? Suddenly I was grateful for my mother’s obsession with her eyebrows and all the years of lurking sullenly around department store makeup counters became (almost) worth it.

Basically, I love Emma Thompson. I have loved her since GCSE English when we watched Kenneth Branagh’s Much Ado About Nothing (I have also loved Kenneth since then but as he has yet to sign any books in my presence, this story is not about him). She is a screen goddess and I admire her with every particle of my soul.

Anyway, so I met her. She was signing copies of her new children’s book, The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit. She was commissioned to write it by Peter Rabbit himself, no less (with the aid of his publishers I think) and she takes Peter on a journey to Scotland. There he meets an enormous, be-kilted bunny who takes him in and shows him the ways of the Highland games. Peter finds an enormous radish and gets seriously involved, and hilarity ensues. It’s a very sweet read and feels very authentic to the original Peter Rabbit stories. I’m sure Beatrix would approve, and their writing styles are not very far removed from each other – both dry, funny and tender.

Emma T was sporting a long tartan dress in the same pattern as the tartan inside the book, as well as one radish and one carrot earring. She was very striking and charismatic, and every bit as you would imagine her to be. She was kind and engaging and I basically just burbled out that I was so glad to meet her, then stumbled away and reeled slightly into a man dressed as an enormous Peter Rabbit, who gave me a steadying hug. Which was nice. Squishy.

What a day.

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment