Saturday 13 October 2012

Vauxhall Roller Disco

When: Saturday 8th September

Where: Vauxhall, under a bridge

Why: What better way to celebrate turning 26 than on wheels?

I heard about the roller disco from an old work friend, who spent her birthday there last year, and it seems that everyone has heard of it but not many people have actually been. You should go. You get to dress up, get involved with a glow stick or two, and they play amazing 70s and retro music as well as more modern stuff (and as we discovered, brilliant mash-ups). So I gathered my favourite people for a birthday extravaganza: a dinner of amazing burgers and the best rum and chocolate milkshakes around at Bukowski (@BukowskiGrill) in Market Row, a quick spot of neon face painting and a whole lot of skating.

I had cockily assumed I’d be alright at rolling around as I can ice-skate a bit, but boy was I wrong. Totes different technique. I was almost instantly seized on by an “instructor” who got my evening off to a terrible start by bossing the crap out of me and refusing to leave me alone (or help me up when she basically made me fall over). I have an irrational aversion to being told what to do and so I got into a strop and had to sit down with a beer for a while before braving the floor again (and staying away from her). After that things massively improved, we all got into our stride and headed for the speedier rink at the back (there are two, one for beginners and one for the reckless) and had a zoom around in the dry ice. We ended up skating for over three hours (with pauses for a bottle of Ginger Joe in between, obv) which I was fairly impressed with, and no serious injuries were sustained. I fell over four times, and woke up the next day literally crippled. I had to drag myself to the loo in the morning bent double and unable to flex any limb. It was worth it though, and the evening was super fun. The atmosphere was lovely (apart from some grumpy staff) and it wasn’t too full which was great, lots of space to hurtle into people. The music was absolutely brilliant and exactly my taste (this was a Saturday night – I think it varies on different nights). The toilets were hilariously difficult to navigate on wheels, but it was all part of the entertainment. I would definitely recommend it and will be straight back there once my limbs have recovered.

The rest of my birthday weekend passed in similarly dignified fashion, as we travelled in style on the Brockwell Park little train (@BrockwellTrain) for the second year running. This is a new yearly tradition I’m coercing my friends into, but I think they secretly love it. Or they love me enough to pretend they do, which is the main thing. We were recognised from last year and the train’s owners have said that if I let them know when we’re coming next year, they’ll get me a card! Love the little train. I also got to sit at the front with the driver and toot the horn, which was a blast. The kids were so jealous. I just think the train is the cutest thing ever and advise anyone, kidlet or grownup, to go for a ride if you’re in the area (quick, before it closes for winter!).

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment