Tuesday 19 November 2013

Glasvegas

When: Thursday 20th June

Where: XOYO

Why: I wanted to see what they’d be like

I hadn’t been to a proper scruffy gig for ages, so Glasvegas at XOYO was an excellent change (they kicked my Lana del Rey experience right up the arse, let me tell you). I love how dark and gritty they are, how you feel like you wouldn’t necessarily want to meet them down a dark Glaswegian alleyway, alongside the powerfully emotional lyrics lead singer James Allen tears out of himself through his incredible unique voice. Their heartbreaking songs are yelled right back at them by a crowd of tough guys with their eyes closed and fists clenched around their beers. They are brutal and honest, but beautiful and moving too. Their new drummer Jonna Lofgren was incredible, providing a massive presence, momentum and rockstar spirit on the stage. She’s cool, basically. 

Glasvegas really surprised me; they grabbed me and shook me and made sure I had an immense time, as did the surprisingly polite crowd (appreciate you, guys). It’s gigs like this that make you know live music is worthwhile, when the band’s passion literally hurls itself off the stage and smacksyou round the ears (in a pleasing way). They’re not perfect but they’re real. 

Their new album is out now and definitely worth a listen (although their first one is still the best). 

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment