Tuesday 19 November 2013

Viva Forever

When: Monday 3rd June

Where: Piccadilly Theatre

Why: Cheap tickets

My bag was bloody searched going into the Piccadilly Theatre, which set me against them straight away. You’re not the O2 arena kids, you’re a slightly dingy half empty theatre and it’s only a wee gin in a tin... Hmph. My gin-based rage aside (FYI, I didn’t let them confiscate it; I pretended to drink it outside then snuck it in via my mum’s bag... classy), I was intrigued to see what lay before me as I took my seat right at the back of the stalls with the rest of the Time Out ticket buyers (and behind several totally empty rows of seats further forward). This was the “re-vamped” version of the show, but even so its closure had been announced since I’d bought the tickets so there was a slightly defeated air hanging over the auditorium. We were bombarded with reality-TV style images and soundbites and videos around the stage as it began and my heart slightly sank as I somehow knew it wasn’t going to be good. I tend not to pay huge attention to critics, as if I like something then I like it and whevs to everyone else. But in the case of Viva, I think they were just right. 

I can’t speak about it for too long as it’s painful for me to criticise anything that the Saunders has touched, not to mention my very long-standing loyalty to the Spices themselves. But briefly – when you find yourself only able to watch the stage through your hands, trying to smother a hysterical laugh-sob as the audience around you sits in dulled and somewhat upset silence, then you know something has gone horribly wrong. One reviewer referred to a “miasma of disappointment” emanating from the audience which I can confirm is totally accurate. 

Not all the cast were bad – the mum’s sidekick was quite funny and Doon Mackichan-esque, and the guy from Eastenders was alright at being essentially Simon Cowell. The moving barge which made up the stage was also quite effective, even if what was happening on it was a travesty. The best moment in the musical was the bedroom scene between the mother and her new chap as they sang a hilarious version of 2 become 1 but I mean that’s obviously a relative hilarity compared to the rest of the show. The main girl, Viva, had a voice that wasn’t horrific but was just wrong for a theatre (too LOUD mate, seriously), no-one else could really sing, and the songs were totally abused. Some real crackers that would have completely boosted the storyline were totally under-used – I’m looking at you, Mama, Headlines and Say you’ll be there. The MEDLEY of Goodbye/Mama/Headlines was one of the most awful things I have ever heard. The plot was going nowhere, I didn’t really like any of the characters and it was all just SO disappointing. I think because I was prepared to defend it to the hilt – I love everyone involved (behind the scenes) and the Spice Girls are my original heroes – but I was even more let down because I couldn’t redeem it. It was bizarre, not funny, slow and painful.

I’m sorry, I just can’t... I can’t go on... *runs out sobbing*

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment