Thursday 6 November 2014

1984

When: Wednesday 26th February
 
Where: Almeida
 
Why: Birthday present (for someone else)
 
I’ll be honest, the only reason I went to see this was because it made a great birthday present for my best friend, who loves the book and anything dystopian. I probably wouldn’t have bothered otherwise, but I’m so glad I did. I hadn’t read it (what a pleb) but made sure I did before we went to the play as I’d heard it was a bit complex… It is, so well done me. Especially as the stage version places the book in the past and analyses it from (seemingly) outside of its context. Just to add another layer of complexity.
 
This setting was a daring move but it definitely worked, and was as thought-provoking an approach as any of the book’s original concepts. The ‘book group’ are analysing the story as we see it played out on stage, and this actively invites the audience’s own reactions to it as the themes of memory and truth are twisted and re-worked. Scenes are replayed with details altered – people are written out of the story (unpersoned) and our rebellious minds try to remember the ‘true’ version, along with Winston. I could also see most of the audience from my balcony seat which actually did add another dimension to the experience. Being new to the story I was still in an initial state of malleable excitement about the plot and the concepts surrounding it, and so was loving the innovative way it was presented and made me re-think everything I had just read.
 
The cast were impressive and slick – Mark Arends as Winston was the perfect balance of innocence and intent, and Tim Dutton as the interrogator O’Brien was intensely creepy and showed how disturbingly far into Winston’s wounded mind he could climb throughout the torture scenes. I found the torture to be a bit more bloody than I’d imagined – I had seen it all as internal pain, but it was nevertheless incredibly effective and horrifyingly well done. The moment where Winston’s world literally comes crashing down when his hiding place is discovered, to reveal the behind the scenes workings and the terrifying clinical whiteness of the ministry, was brilliantly done with some stunning set design and lighting. The sound and use of video screens was effective and fitting to the all-seeing nature of the story, and scenes such as the 2 minute hate were incredibly shocking when played out in front of you. This was definitely a play that will stay with me, and I’m so pleased it transferred to the West End so that more people could experience it (although I do love the Almeida – what a great theatre).
 
DOUBLEPLUSGOOD.
 
Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment