Monday 24 November 2014

Ghosts

When: Friday 7th March

Where: Trafalgar Studios

Why: Love me some Ibsen

My trip to Ghosts was the final night of a week of epic evenings – on Monday AND Tuesday I’d seen Wicked (free tickets, thank you very much), Wednesday was London Grammar, and Thursday was Haim. So you can imagine I might have been thinking wearily of my own sofa and a chill-out on Friday night – but I was actually incredibly excited to see Ghosts, and my friend Charles of course, who had sorted us out with £10 day tickets.

I was excited as well to be in the bigger theatre at the Trafalgar Studios, which is comfily retro. I’d been before to Trafalgar 2 to see my friend Ben starring in Betwixt, and both times had experienced a brilliant celeb spot, with Sheridan Smith the first time and Stephen Fry the second (neither of whom I was permitted to speak to by my friends, at the risk of massively embarrassing them and probably myself… rude). The day tickets were incredible value and meant we were stunningly close to the stage, on the second row with a view only partly impeded not by a high stage or safety railings, but by a girl with a massive top-knot right in front of me. Despite this hairy impediment, we could see close up every nuance of emotion passing over Leslie Manville’s face.

This was a stunningly put together production, with impressive lighting and claustrophobic stage design which all added to the intensity of the drama, but it was the acting itself that was sublime. I was absolutely floating away on the performances, which were all of just the highest standard. It was a privilege to watch a play where the quality of the actors was just undeniable and impossible not to appreciate (and the Olivier Awards panel obviously agree). Despite being one of Ibsen’s most harrowing plays, this performance was pitched perfectly – it was dramatic but not melodramatic, subtle and engaging, and you could feel it slowly piercing your heart as it played out. I described the plot to my mum and it sounded horrendously depressing, but it wasn’t like that to watch. I wasn’t dragged down, but carried along. Leslie was perfection, and Jack Lowden as the son, Oswald, was also outstanding.

The performance is now on Digital Theatre and I suggest you download it immediately (I think you can still use the code ibsencollection to get 25% off if you buy it and A Doll’s House at the same time!).

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment