Sunday 8 July 2012

Keane

When: Friday 8th June

Where: Brixton Academy

Why: I never got to see them when I was younger and actually listened to them on a regular basis

I got into Keane when I was about 16, and I remember listening to them on repeat on my Discman (YESSS) at a summer school, lying upside down on a bed with my pal. Since their first album I haven’t listened to them much but have kept a friendly ear out, and I’ve always liked the rousing spirit of some of their stuff. I also have a fascination with the lead singer (little Tom) because in one of their videos he sits on a stool in a river and for some reason this reminded me of Kermit the Frog.

Anyway, the crowd were so fantastic and it was such a friendly gig. There was a really positive feeling and everyone seemed to be very, very excited – if I’m entirely honest, much more excited than I had expected... They clearly have a massive and enthusiastic fan base – either that, or they’re actually much bigger than I realised. Which is entirely possible. There were the anticipated middle-aged couples filling up the crowd, who provided some seriously excellent dance moves – not much pleases me more than full-on wedding-disco dancing from the older generation. Respec. The band were enthusiastic, really slick and just friendly – actually talking to the crowd and telling stories, which I always like. Little Tom’s voice is incredible, and very powerful live. He was also wearing a pair of worryingly tight trousers, which were a genuine cause for concern throughout the evening. Maybe he just doesn’t want to have children? Who can say.

Despite their slightly cheesy reputation (not something that ever puts me off, have to say), they just are consummate music makers and very polished and engaging performers – defs worth seeing live. They clearly massively enjoyed themselves and so their audience did too. Yay Keane.

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment