Thursday 3 January 2013

Gotye

Not even the poster from this
gig, I just liked it
When: Monday 12th November

Where: Hammersmith Apollo


Why: I don’t really know… it was just one of those things

The main thing you should know about this gig is that I went on my own and I didn’t drink. There was also some kind of drunken, aggressively-swaying Portuguese love-square going on next to me so I was anxiously tapping notes into my phone to stay out of it. So if this seems like a more detailed review than my usual, then that is why. 

Gotye was a revelation. He is COOL. I had no idea what to expect as I only knew his 2011 album (yes, the one with Somebody that I used to know on it), but he was awesome. It was like a proper jam session, with him very much as part of the band rather than a super frontman, and his drumming is phenomenal. Who actually knew? He was so dynamic, starting out quite spooky-peaceful, then billowing out into an 80s synthy retro psychedelic vibe. Good beats. I also love how he just slips into Phil Collins style poppy-ness every now and then (Learnalilgivinanlovin, In your Light etc). He also sang the obligatory Somebody that I used to know and got the audience to sing the Kimbra part, which was surprisingly effective (the entire Aussie population of London bellowing it back to him must have been quite a pleasing sensation).

Each song was accompanied by a self-contained short film, all of which were completely different but amazing. Hard to describe in detail because there were so many but if you youtube him you’ll see the breadth of stuff going on. A great example from the gig is State of the Art (a song which I hadn’t liked before but teamed with the video is just entirely new and cracking).

Also, because it’s such a sweet video, here’s the official version of Bronte which I love.


Nice one Gotes.

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment