Thursday 3 January 2013

Mt. Wolf EP Launch

music
When: Tuesday 30th October

Where: Corsica Studios

Why: Birthday prez for a friend (and also because we love them)

Basically the Corsica Studios is a bit too cool for me. It’s connected to a club venue under the rail bridge at Elephant and Castle, and is suitably grungy and intimidating. However I was saved by the fact that it was the lovely Mt. Wolf’s EP launch (if you haven’t downloaded it yet – well why not? It’s on iTunes and everything. GO) and so lots of their family were there. Basically the front row was us and the grannies. Which was brilliant.

Photo by paulbence
The support acts weren’t totally my bag – proper electronica (and I won’t name names but one had a band member who my mate pointed out looked exactly like a finger-puppet, which caused me to bellow with laughter while standing far too close to the stage). And although the Mt. Wolf’s performance was a bit different to expected (because obviously when I saw them previously they were all acoustic and that) they were actually even more brilliant and energised. I was also thrilled that they re-created their cover of Usher’s ‘Climax’ which is just better than the original. My friend described Kate (the lead singer @katemtwolf) as singing “with her whole body” which is so true, and her voice is so angelic-interesting. All the band members are musically tremendous and creative, and they’re a joy to watch.

I think you can still get tickets to their headline gig at XOYO in February – go fer it.

Brixpig x




No comments:

Post a Comment