Thursday 3 January 2013

Marina and the Diamonds (again)

When: Thursday 11th October

Where: HMV Forum, Kentish Town

Why: Chance to see ol’ Maz in action in a proper gig setting, rather than on an altar

I love Marina. She’d kick any playas in the guts whilst dressed like a fairy. She’s tiny but with massive boobs (legend). She’s half Greek and half Welsh, for cryin out loud. What a combo. Her surname is Diamandis. She’s literally a diamond. So you could say I’m a fan. After seeing her in church in February and standing literally a foot away, I didn’t think I could see a better performance, but this was a totally different experience. The church was intimate and slower-paced, much more simple. This gig was neon-lit funky lounge style BIG. By having her band on all sides on the stage, there was still an intimate, supportive feel but was much more about putting on a show. We were also treated to a guest appearance from Marilyn the poodle (one of those yappy toy pups that somersault around) which left me in hysterics. She’s got such a unique voice – bold, sweet, vulnerable and grungy in turn, and so different to anything else out there.

Here’s a treat of a video for you. My flatmate and I favour the one who paints her nails. You’ll see what I mean.

How to be a heartbreaker:


Support was by the excellent Foxes, who are a bit Kate Bush/Bangles/La Roux style. Have a listen to Warrior, my favourite of their tracks (so far).

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment