Wednesday 26 March 2014

Kris Kristofferson


When: Thursday 26th September

Where: Union Chapel

Why: For my mum

I had no expectations of this gig, other than knowing that there was a chance my mum might pass out or do something embarrassing. All I knew about Kris K was that he once starred in ‘A star is born’ opposite Barbra Streisand and was apparently a rock sex god. Given that he’s now 78 however, I wasn’t sure how this would have played out over the decades. I decided not to do any research but to take him as I found him.

The Union Chapel was the perfect venue for Mr K, partly since you can’t take booze into the church – the image of an audience sat in pews with mugs of tea while a gentleman crooner takes them through an endless journey of story songs will stay with me for a long time. It was the sweetest, most civilised concert I think I’ve ever seen, and was just absolutely lovely. I know it doesn’t sound thrilling, but Kristofferson has a shining charisma and obvious heart which really draw you to him and enraptures you, and this is clearly how he’s become a massive Country star. 

He opened with the inviting assurance that “there ain’t nothing sweeter than naked emotions.” He was effortlessly charming and deprecating, and his voice has a gentle country music air and was very strong. His songs were short and sweet, capturing little human stories or funny tales, quirky and cheeky and moving all in one. You’re gathering in all the wisdom he’s gained over his fascinating life (Google him). Plus he had more than one harmonica, which instantly made me love him.

At the end of the gig he stayed on stage for ages greeting fans, chatting and grasping their hands as they reached up to him (like the messiah on an altar). Obviously mum was straight down there and, as she breathlessly recounted to me on the way back down the aisle, “he held onto my hand much longer than anyone else!” Dreamy.

I’ve discovered a new musical love, purely down to my mum. It’s so annoying that she’s always right.

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment