Wednesday 26 March 2014

West Side Story


When: Thursday 29th August

Where: Sadler's Wells

Why: I’d heard it was finger clickin’ good

The last time I saw West Side Story, it was a hugely impressive student version which reduced an elderly gent at the end of my row to huge racking sobs. A friend featured as a Shark and before bringing the house down with her excellent performance, she also brought our student house down in hysterics the week before the performance due to her incredibly deep “Puerto-Rican” spray tan. Good times.

There were no mildly offensive spray tans in this classy performance at Saddlers Wells, however – just some beautiful choreography and awe-inspiring dancing. I do love the balletic, unrealistic stylised dancing that always features in West Side Story – they are the least menacing gangs ever, I’m sure you’ll all agree, but it doesn’t seem to matter when you’ve got cracking music and moves. The story is almost of secondary importance, at least to me anyway. ‘America’ with the fabulous Shark girls was easily my high point – their energy was incredible. I also always love Maria’s impassioned rebellion at the climax of the play, defending Tony’s body til the very end – makes a change from her previous naive sweetness and gives her a bit more dimension.

Weak points for me were Tony’s voice (good god he was nasal), and the dream ballet scene was super, super cringey and mis-used in my opinion – I was desperate for it to be beautiful, but it was just a bit naff. If you have to dress everyone in white to show it’s a dream, you’re doing it wrong.  

Most enjoyable evening of theatre though, and for £12 sat up in the second circle you can’t go wrong!

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment