Tuesday 17 April 2012

Bank Holiday

Right, now we’ve got our background music sorted, let’s get on to the real business of the epic update that I’ve got planned. I’ve basically been on a theatre bender over the last couple of weeks, which has been seriously enjoyable and, very importantly, bargainous.

I had my mother and brother to stay with me for the bank holiday weekend, neither of whom had stayed in Brixton before, so I had an excellent time showing them round the sights! Brockwell Park was sort of rained off on Sunday, so we altered our plans to mainly involve more food and a screening of the final Harry Potter film. I’ll take them to the park in the summer when the little train returns (literally my favourite thing ever). I took them for a mini tour of the town, up to the Academy, round the Ritzy, into Brixton Village and pointing out my favourite pubs (Dogstar obviously top of the list). Mum loved the bustle and excellent value fruit and veg of the market, and especially liked falling asleep to the sound of the rooftop club (a joy my brother did not share, the grinch).


FRIDAY saw us being touristy and having coffee in the sunshine around Covent Garden, where I fell in love with a busker. We hit Harrods where my mother insisted on buying Harrods-branded water bowls for our kittens (stay classy), we cooed at some puppies, and I frolicked round the Harry Potter shop – one day that replica Triwizard cup will be mine…

In the afternoon, we trotted around Sloane Square and picnicked outside the Saatchi Gallery before wandering in for a little look round. I actually liked a lot of the stuff in there, particularly the rotating hare who alternately agreed and dissented to something or other (OUI/NON). We went for a pre-show beverage at one of my favourite central London pubs, the Chandos by Trafalgar Square. It’s buzzy, cosy and relaxed and serves Samuel Smiths bevs, a serious draw for me as my favourite Durham pub was also a Sam Smiths establishment.

Sweeeeeeeeneeeeeyyyy.
The entertainment of the evening was Sweeney Todd at the Adelphi theatre (where years previously my friends and I had harassed a very bemused Lee Mead at one of his Joseph previews… ah happy memories). We got day tickets by turning up at 9.40am and queuing behind about 10 earlier risers. These enthusiastic folks meant that we ended up in the back row of the stalls for £25, but they were fairly good seats nevertheless (the main hindrance for me was the enormous head of the bloke in front, rather than distance from the stage). The show was fantastic and absolutely all about Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton, both of whom were utterly impressive and hilarious. The less said about Johanna and her soppy suitor the better – no room in even my generally appreciative world for squeaky insipid actresses – and I have to say, the appearance of the Go Compare man as Pirelli was a bit unexpected… But moving on. The highlight for me had to be ‘A little priest’, which had me hysterical all the way through. The only lowlight of the experience was my brother singing ONE line on repeat for the rest of the weekend (‘To shave-a the faaaace, to trim-a the beeeard’), but I can’t really blame the production for that, I suppose. Imelda was seriously astonishing and gripping and multi-faceted and shone all the way through. Michael Ball was essentially unrecognisable as himself (even through the teeny binoculars) and very impressive, occasionally hilarious, but sometimes I felt he was almost too drawn in and brooding, slightly to the point of not doing very much, especially to one sitting right at the back. But that’s just a small point, he was generally very impressive. I would VERY much recommend popping over for a day seat and getting in to see it, it’s a lot of fun and brilliantly produced, and received the most enthusiastic and unreserved standing ovation I think I’ve ever seen.

SATURDAY saw us hitting Angel to see my place of work, to hop into the Hummingbird Bakery, and to bounce into the Breakfast Club, which is tucked down Camden Passage and whose sunny decoration and friendly staff put it firmly on my list of favourite eateries in London (which is impressive particularly in Angel, which is chockfull of good food). This was my brother’s highlight of the whole trip, and he tucked into a massive plate of American pancakes, maple syrup and bacon, while my mum put away an ‘El Butty’: sausage and egg sandwich but with chorizo. We shared a pitcher of the ‘Return of the Red-eye’ hangover special smoothie (we weren’t hungover but best to ward these things off), which was gloopy and delicious. We followed this feast with a wander round the nearby vintage market and then a trip to Borough Market to pick up some free foodie samples (there’s no filling us up).
Seriously good eyebrows.
That evening we went non-musical, but musically inspired, at Master Class at the Vaudeville Theatre, starring Tyne Daly off of Cagney & Lacey and Judging Amy, and of whom my mum is a big fan. £15 day tickets in the front row were fabulous value and it was such an interesting and brilliantly acted show. Tyne Daly was majestic and supremely convincing as the capricious and contradictory Maria Callas. It has been accused of being sentimental and clichéd as written, but to me it seemed to be almost harsh and true, and bitingly funny, and this is all down to Daly’s delivery and stage presence. The polite and observant pianist added some subtly sweet comic moments (and MASSIVELY amused the old lady sat next to me) with his asides and glances to the audience, and was a perfect foil to the overbearing Callas. Some original recordings played in the background of the flashback scenes, which I was pleased about as I’ve never heard much of Maria Callas and found myself wanting to find out more about her as the play described her prodigious talent. The master class students were also brilliantly played and some of the singing was pretty impressive, if a little bit overwhelming heard from the orchestra pit! I would definitely recommend a viewing before it closes at the end of April, especially if you have any interest at all in singing, and you won’t have to get up as early as the Sweeney fans to guarantee a day ticket. I went to see it for my mum’s sake, but ended up having a great time, which annoyingly just goes to reinforce the fact that she is always right.

The rest of the weekend was spent recovering from all this activity, eating my mother’s birthday cake, and generally having a cracking time with my little family. More is coming up about the remainder of my theatre rampage but for now I’m going for a peanut butter kit kat break (we found them in the vending machine at work today and there was much rejoicing).

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment