Sunday 22 April 2012

Supercool Sheffield



Hi all. I am sitting at my kitchen table listening to David Guetta and downing cups of tea like there’s no tomorrow (trying to fill myself up as I’ve decided I can’t have any dinner until I’ve updated Brixpig properly). It’s quite a motivating combination, I suggest you give it a go. Today has been pleasingly mellow. I had a trip to Spitalfields and Petticoat Lane markets with my pal Chrissy, where we had a good wander round, followed by sandwich time in the sun next to some ducks (who shunned my Pret red thai crisps, the plebs). I came home with a knock-off Anna Sui coin purse, a million books from an excellent stall featuring loads of Penguin classics – I just can’t resist a little orange paperback – and extracted some questionably patterned scarves from an enormous heap of the things, which were £1 each. So much more productive than, say, running a marathon…

I needed a restful weekend after the adventure to Sheffield of last week for my beautiful pal Helen’s birthday. Far too early last Saturday morning saw me and four friends boarding a train up north from the shiny shell that is St Pancras, and perking ourselves up with bucks fizz (hair of the dog for a couple of us) and jammie dodgers (worked a treat). We had a lovely weekend of catching up, loafing and eating delicious treats, and a great night in Sheffield on Saturday. In our accidental group uniform of block colour dresses + black tights, we hit Zizzi’s for dinner and birthday prosecco, then wandered over to the Common Room for drinks accompanied by random sports broadcasts from all over the globe and some excellent 90s tunes. We headed to The Bowery after that, which I was a big fan of as they lured us in with free sambuca (even though I had to forgo mine due to the previous night catching up with me). They’re a little independent bar that was completely buzzing and served a massive selection of world beers – my choice of (what I think was called) East India pale ale was a good one, and also won me the respect of the barman, which is never a bad thing. Final bar of the night was Revolucion de Cuba which was the bomb. We’re talking Cuban and dancey music, rum cocktails in massive tin teapots, pineapple mojitos, and a friendly, energetic atmosphere. Cannot recommend enough if you’re ever in the area and feeling the need for a rum. I am loving Sheffield from the few times I've visited, and can't wait for my next trip. Get planning some more bars for me Hels!

Right. I am off to iron my newly purchased silk scarves while they are still damp (advice from my mother) and read one of me new books. More soon – I’ve got some serious plans involving beer for the coming weeks.

Brixpig x


No comments:

Post a Comment