Sunday 22 April 2012

Noises Off

When: Wednesday 11th April       

Where: Novello Theatre

Why: Hellooo, under-25 £12 tickets.

How fit is the Novello theatre? If I had to live in a theatre, Phantom stylee, it would definitely be the one I choose. It’s so cute inside: all little narrow corridors and slender dark wood doors leading goodness knows where. There were ladies toilets ALL OVER THE PLACE and it was the first time ever at a London theatre ever that I didn’t have to queue for a wee. Ever. This might not sound like a big thing but I was very appreciative. Plus the stripy wallpaper in the loo was stupendous, and they had green tiles that were VERY Ministry of Magic.

So anyway, yeah, the play was good too. We were in the front row with under-25 £12 tickets, thanks to the clever booking of my thespy pal, and were so close that once it started I felt like I was actually IN the play. Which was actually fine, as it was the kind of full-on, action everywhere, mental farce that you felt totally engulfed by anyway, so I think we really got the proper experience if you ask me. The action was intense and insanely well executed – I have honestly never seen rushing about on a stage done so skilfully, and I’ve seen a LOT of farces at the Tynemouth Priory Theatre… The cumulative layering of hilarity was so relentless that by the end I was reduced to an exhausted, hysterical mess. It could almost have been too much ridiculousness, but they managed to rein it in just enough in the third act to allow me to leave with sides just about intact.

I was looking forward to seeing Celia Imrie (total legend) in the flesh, and she was excellent as expected. The Guardian review described her portrayal of Dotty as ‘a glorious confection of precarious ego and incipient dementia. When she cries out, "I leave the sardines?" she somehow gives the line a riddling philosophical resonance worthy of Beckett.’ Which I whole-heartedly agree with. Janie Dee and Karl Johnson were also brilliantly gigglesome and touching.

We also noticed as we perused the programme that almost everyone in the cast had at some point in their career appeared on Midsomer Murders. I think there was only one person who hadn’t managed it, but they had been in Casualty, which is probably the second most popular entry in an acting CV (closely followed by The Bill) so we forgave them.

Definitely worth a watch. If you’re in need of a couple of hours of escapism and hysteria (and who isn’t?), then get down there asap. Plus you’ll get to see what I mean about the toilets. 

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment