Tuesday 17 April 2012

Do be doo dum dum

First off, I owe you an album of the week! Or two. But this is a bumper one that should keep you going for an age, so deal with it.

The Very Best of The Fleetwoods – The Fleetwoods

I am a huge fan of the BBC2 series Roger and Val have just got in, starring Dawn French and Alfred Molina (how could you not be, with those two?) and I always used to find myself humming the theme tune for days afterwards. This gentle, bouncing do-be-do track is called Come Softly to Me and was released in 1959 by a group called the Fleetwoods. It went to number one and they recorded it at home, singing a capella and using the singer’s car keys to provide rhythm – basically they were the Daniel Bedingfield of the sixties.

I obviously had to download it after learning that, and when I hit iTunes I realised that I could download the band’s entire greatest hits album for £3.49. And I say ‘entire’ album, because it contains a majestic 65 tracks. It’s a supremely inoffensive listening experience and perfect retro background music for a dinner party or writing blogs, for example.

Have a listen to Come Softly to Me here, and soothe your ears. 

Brixpig x


No comments:

Post a Comment