Friday 9 March 2012

David Shrigley: Brain Activity

When: Friday 17th February 2012

Where: Hayward Gallery, Southbank Centre

Why: The poster lured me in.
  
So, like, you know Spike Milligan? ‘I told you I was ill’ written on his gravestone Spike Milligan? Yeah? Well imagine a room full of stuff like that, and you’ve got David Shrigley’s latest exhibition. That’s not a diss, by the way, but a compliment. I’m a big Milligan fan, and now a big Shrigley fan as well. How nice for everyone involved.


Shrigley has said about this exhibition that ‘the responses I would like are laughter, intrigued confusion and disquiet.’ Definitely got the disquiet part right, thanks to the big fishbowl full of five years’ worth of toenail clippings. Apparently this came about thanks to a thought about how much of ourselves is cut off over our lives, which is pretty representative of the whole show – little bits of creativeness chopped off and displayed at random in a big white space. The laughter is taken care of in pretty much every corner of every room, and particularly for me in front of a bell with a plaque beside it which read ‘Not to be rung again until Jesus returns’, which for reasons I can’t completely fathom reduced me to long-lasting chuckles. The intrigued confusion appeared before me in the faces of my fellow adventurers as I shuffled on hands and knees through a tiny door in the wall, away from a kingdom of creepy crawlies (I just followed a kid through the hole, it seemed like the best option to me).


According to the little guidebook, Shrigley sees ‘hugely important things as incredibly trivial and unimportant things as having massive significance’, which explains the row of sizeable ceramic eggs along a dividing wall, and a shopping list engraved on a gravestone. Another favourite was the big cup of tea, large enough to fit a basketball in but which actually contained real (and very cold) tea. I stuck my finger in to test it so I know. I push boundaries.

My mate very much enjoyed the taxidermy projects dotted around the place, including the famous ‘I’m dead’ dog, a headless ostrich (ooh, thought-provoking), and a similarly headless squirrel holding his own head instead of a nut in his tiny paws. You do end up asking what is it, why has he done that, what does that mean, as you wonder round.

The illustrations and paintings were my highlights, and seem like an insight into what a bored man left alone in a school art department might come out with. Which is brilliant. It’s stream of consciousness art, which makes for an interesting trip around the gallery. If you could step into the mind of a bit of a weird dude and have a wander round, this is what it would be like. He displays statements (‘It’s ok to run away from your problems’), innuendo (‘Tits’), and some one-liners that my uncle would love. It’s temporary, cheeky, quirky and making fun. It was a bit of an adventure and I had a cracking time. The exhibition is on until May, so I suggest you go and have a look at it - immediately if possible.

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment