Thursday 15 March 2012

Strid me up, Judy

Evening all, how you doing? Marvellously I hope.

DANGER: Strid
I’ve been having a rare old time. Not only did I get to see the stupendous Florence + the Machine at Alexandra Palace (as the previous post demonstrates in all its tongue-tied majesty), and had a mini adventure to Bradford, where I experienced the watery danger of the Strid near Bolton Abbey (Google it). It’s a secluded woody spot where the river narrows to about 6 feet, which causes a great deal of bouncing currents and tiny whirlpools. It looks beautiful and reasonably impressive, but as numerous signs and parental warnings pointed out, also “claims lives” as people try to jump over the gap. I have no idea why anyone would even consider attempting to do that, but then again I have no real taste for adrenaline. I don’t even like Lucozade. We all managed to survive though, and the only losses were the button off a friend’s coat and my dignity after I sat on a damp rock for too long. The rest of the trip was a lot less risky and involved key lime pie, a game of ‘Shag, Marry, Cruise’ (drunkenly renamed as ‘Mag, Sharry, Cruise’), and a delightful veggie curry at the Prashad restaurant – a little local recommendation for you there. Go in when you’re next in Bradford (which I’m sure will be soon), or if you’re a massive fan of Gordon Ramsey...

Pretty excited about upcoming events, and still to come in March is:
-    The Duchess of Malfi at the Old Vic (and probably along with a review you’ll be getting a rave about season 3 of ‘Nurse Jackie’ – also starring Eve Best – which I’ll be doing a marathon of on Saturday)
-     The Shins at the HMV Forum. Possibly the most eagerly looked-forward to gig of my life, ever. I can barely contain myself
-     Sarah Millican at the Hammersmith Apollo
-     Crafty Fox market at the Dogstar.

As well as this, I’m planning some posts that are actually about Brixton, and potench some book/film reviews, AND a new weekly music spot which I’ll be introducing tomorrow.

Boom.

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment