Friday 9 March 2012

Lightning Seeds (+ James Walsh)

When: Saturday 18th February 2012

Where: O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire

Why: I’m a fan, but not enough of a fan to pay for tickets. So I won some on their Facebook page.

The last time I saw the Lightning Seeds’ lead singer Ian Broudie on a stage was at the Isle of Wight festival in 2010. Or rather, he was storming off the stage after a failed attempt to get the crowd to sing ‘Three Lions’ live on radio and a dodgy guitar/microphone situation which revealed that he was miming. Brilliant. The mild derision and absolute lack of interest from the thousands-strong crowd was genuinely entertaining and a little bit unexpected (everyone LOVES ‘Three Lions’ usually – maybe if Baddiel and Skinner had appeared things might have been different).

But he seems to have got over himself a bit and he and the band have put together a brilliantly nostalgic show. The Lightning Seeds are one of those bands who’ve done more songs that you recognise than you’d think – Pure, Sugar Coated Iceberg, Change, Lucky You, Life of Riley… (Spotify them if the names are doing nothing for you, and you’ll see what I mean). This is only if you were around and listening to the radio in the 90s, of course. And if you weren’t, then I don’t want to know, you tiny child.

The very fellows. 
The show was energetic and the music was really impressively good – what a tuneful bunch they are. I defy anyone to listen to ‘Life of Riley’ and not get their groove on. I loved the sight of lone middle-aged men dancing along the balcony, groups of lairy lads clearly preparing themselves for ‘Three Lions’, and even a mum and young daughter not far from us. Passing the love down the generations. I think, apart from the small girl, my mate and I were the youngest people there by a fair way, but I can only see that as a good thing. And you'll be relieved to know that 'Three Lions' was their final encore song. Phew.

One final good point was that James Walsh off of Starsailor turned out to be the supporting act. As soon as he opened his mouth I knew his voice, and a swift google helped me place him. Seriously thrilling, I had a big Starsailor phase a few years ago (not big enough to know any of the band’s names, yes I know), and it was awesome to see their lead singer live. Walsh does genuinely great things with a guitar and has a delicious voice. Starsailor wouldn’t have been my first guess for someone to support the Britpoppy Lightning Seeds, but my ears were happy so I was happy.

Wicked man.

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment